Top Ten Quotes
1) Janie, onto her gossiping friends and neighbors, stressing the importance of storytelling and dental tradition: " Ah avoid mean to bother wid tellin' 'em nothin', Pheoby. 'Tain't really worth de trouble. You can tell 'em what Ah claim if you desires to. Dat's simply de same as me 'cause mah tongue is in mah friend's mouf" (6).
2) Janie, for the men of Eatonville: " Sometimes Goodness gits familiar wid all of us womenfolks also and discussions His inside business. This individual told me. just how surprised y'all is goin' tuh end up being if you ever find out you don't find out half all the 'bout all of us as you believe yo do. It's very easy to make yo'self out The almighty Almighty as you ain't received nothin' tuh strain against but women and chickens" (70-71).
3) On Janie: " Your woman was a ditch in the highway. Plenty of lifestyle beneath the surface area but it was kept beaten down by wheels" (72).
4) Janie, after Joe's death: " To my thinkin' mourning oughtn't tuh last not any longer'n grief" (89).
5) Eatonville habitants, on Janie: " It had been hard to love women that always built you feel and so wishful" (111).
6) In Tea Dessert: " Janie looked upon him and felt a self-crushing take pleasure in. So her soul crawled out from the hiding place" (122).
7) Upon waiting for the mighty hurricane: " They sat in company with the others consist of shanties, their particular eyes pressuring against raw walls and their souls asking if He meant to assess their weak might against His. They will seemed to be looking at the dark, but their eyes were seeing God" (151).
8) Tea Cake, upon Janie: ". don't state you'se ole. You'se uh lil young lady baby every de time. God caused it to be so you put in yo' ole age initial wid another person, and saved up yo' youthful girl times to spend wid me" (172).
9) Janie, on love: ". love isn't somethin' lak uh grindstone dat's sobre same thing almost everywhere and do de same thing tuh everything this touch. Love is lak de ocean. It's uh movin' thing, but still and everything, it takes their shape coming from de banks it meets, and it's diverse with every shore" (182).
10) Janie: " Really uh known fact,...